Published: January 11, 2014
Applies to: Cayosoft Administrator 2.x or later.
Overview: The CayoAdminService is a Windows Service that executes and enforces business rules for the Cayosoft Admin Assistant product. This service is designed to work with both on-premises and cloud based services. This service is critical to the operation of the product.
Issue: The console is unable to connect to the Cayo Admin Service or the service has not started on the local computer. This may happen due to the configuration of the computer on which Admin Assistant has been installed. The typical symptom is a dialog box being presented indicating the console failed to connect to the service. In most cases this can be resolved by simply restarting the Admin Service as described below.
Windows 7.x and 8.x users with UAC Enabled:
Symptoms: Service is running, but console will not connect and UAC is enabled.
You must open the Admin Assistant console as an Administrator.
To run Admin Assistant as Administrator [SHIFT]+Right click on the Admin Assistant icon and choose Run As Administrator.
All version of Windows: Start/restart the service
- Right click the Windows Task Bar and choose Task Manager.
The Windows Task Manager will be displayed on the screen.
- On Windows 7, 8 or Server 2012 display additional details if needed by clicking More Details at the bottom right of the Task Manager Window.
This will change the Task Manager Window so that a series of Tabs are shown at the top of the Window.
- Click the Services Tab and locate the Cayo Admin Service from the list of services shown.
- Right click CayoAdminService and choose Start or Restart whichever is available.
For Windows 2008 you may need to choose Stop Service followed by Start Service.
- If the service status fails to change to Running consult the Windows Application Event Log to determine the why the service did not start properly.
Entries in the Windows Application Event Log will have a Source of Cayosoft Administrator Service.
The most common reason the service the Admin Service may fail to start is that one or more prerequisite requirements are not met: KB20180328-1 Microsoft Updates Required for Administrator 5.x
Change the Account used by the Service
- Press the Windows Key on your keyboard.
(For Windows 2008r2 systems - Click Start then Run)
- Type services.msc and then press enter.
- Right click Cayo Software Admin Service and choose properties.
- Click the Log On tab at the top.
- In the This Account: field enter the name of the Active Directory administrator account.
Note this account should have administrator rights in both Active Directory and on the local computer.
- In the Password and Confirm password fields enter the password for the Active Directory administrator you have chosen to use.
- Click OK.
- Restart the service.
(If you need help restarting the service see the section above titled Start/restart the CayoAdminService.