Applies to: Cayosoft Administrator 4.X or later.
Summary: Cayosoft Administrator Console can connect not only to the local service but to any Cayosoft service running on another computer. This article describes how to configure the Console so it can be used without local service running.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 or later
No download required for Server 2012R2 or later, just add the role.
To determine the installed version of Microsoft .NET Framework, follow instructions provided in the Microsoft KB 318785.
Note: If the Cayo Admin Service version is 8.1.0 or earlier Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is required.
Microsoft Management Framework 5.1 or later
See Installing Windows Management Framework 5.1 article for installation instructions.
Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT)
No download required for Windows 8.x or Server 2012R2 or later, just add the role.
See Installing Remote Active Directory Tools (RSAT) article for installation instructions.
How to install Cayosoft Administrator Console
Cayosoft Administrator 7.3.0 or later
Starting from the 7.3.0 version, Cayosoft Admin Console can be now installed separately from the Administrator Service:
- On the machine where you need to install Cayosoft Administrator Console run Cayosoft CD and click Client Tools:
- Cayosoft Administrator Console will be installed.
Now when you run Cayosoft Administrator Console it will show a Connection dialog where you can specify the machine name where the service is running and credentials.
Cayosoft Administrator 7.2.1 or earlier
Cayosoft installation package has both Cayosoft Administrator Console and service in one .exe file. To use Console only on the computer, you need to install Cayosoft Administrator and then disable the service:
- Perform a typical installation of Cayosoft Administrator on the computer.
- After installation finished, on the last step uncheck Configure Cayosoft Administrator Portal checkbox and click Finish
- Open Services (Click Start, click in the Start Search box, type services.msc, and then press ENTER)
- Find Cayosoft Administrator Service in the list and perform a double click on it
- In General tab click Stop button under Service status and select Startup type Disabled, then click OK to close the dialog.
- When you run Cayosoft Administrator Console it will show a Connection dialog where you can specify the machine name where the service is running and credentials.
How to use Administrator Console remotely
Rules output reports are stored on the machine where Admin Service is installed. To be able to see rule output reports in the remote Admin Console, you should share the reports folder on the service machine and specify a new path in the remote Admin Console on the Reporting page. For details please see this KB article: https://support.cayosoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048670791
How to reset Administrator Console connection settings
After you clicked on the checkbox Save My Password on Connection Dialog, the Administrator Console remembers your account settings. If you want to logon as another user you need to clear these saved connection settings manually:
- Close the Console if it is open
- Open the folder on your PC, please replace '<user name>' by your actual user name first: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Cayosoft
- Delete all subfolders from the folder.
- Start the Console: Connecting dialog should appear.