Cayosoft Administrator 9.1.0 adds new rule migration and deprecation toolsets aimed to address the challenges of dealing with rapid change in the Microsoft cloud. When you open Administrator Console you will now see the Deprecated Rules link in the Urgent notification section on the Home page.
Deprecated rules are the rules that Cayosoft plans to retire in for one of the reasons below:
- Microsoft API breaking changes which make an automated upgrade from a legacy rule to a newer version impossible
- Functionality is no longer provided or does not makes sense due to Microsoft changes.
- A rule was completely redesigned and an automated upgrade is not feasible.
- A rule is no longer used.
All deprecated rules will be disabled and stop working at at a predefined EOL (End of Life) date. New instances of these rules cannot be created from the new rule wizard. However, these deprecated rules are divided into two different categories:
- Obsolete rules: these rules will no longer be supported after the given EOL time and will simply stop working as supported rules.
- Rules with migration path: these deprecated rules will be provided with migration functionality to newer versions of rules that include most or all of the deprecated rule functionality. After migration, both the legacy and the new rule exist simultaneously and the deprecated rule has to be removed manually. Please see below for a full description of the migration functionality
Obsolete rules (EOL 2022-08-26):
- Office 365 Users Last Logon
- Office 365 Users Last Logon with Custom Attribute
- Enforce Clutter Settings
Rules with migration paths (EOL 2022-08-26):
- AD Users | Enforce License
- AD Groups | Enforce License
- Office 365 Groups | Enforce Licenses
- Office 365 Users | Enforce License
Office 365 Users | Change selected license option
- Office 365 Users | License Plan Change Cost Modeling & Enforcement
- Office 365 Users | Revoke Disabled Users Licenses
- Office 365 Users | Change selected license option by AD Group
- Remote Linked Mailboxes | Enforce License
The Deprecated Rules node has been introduced in the Administrator Console, where you can review and migrate such rules to a newer version. Before migration, you can perform What If analysis to get a report that will have the information about how the selected rule will be migrated.
Deprecated rules node in Administrator Console
The Deprecated Rules is a list of rules that are supported until the time that is specified next to each rule, after which they will become obsolete. Obsolete rules are not supported and cannot be run on schedule.
If the rule can be migrated you will see the red banner on it with the information that the rule is deprecated and will become obsolete and unsupported after the specified date and with the Migrate Rule button.
If the rule cannot be migrated you will see just the red banner with the information that the rule is deprecated and will become obsolete and unsupported after the specified date.
How to migrate the rule:
- Select the rule in the Deprecated Rules list or select it in the Administrator Console tree and click Migrate Rule.
- Click Next.
- Select the mode: What if analysis or Migration.
- Click Finish.
What if analysis
No new rules will be created, no current rules will be updated or deleted. You will get the execution report with details on how the selected rules will be migrated, what rules' settings can be and cannot be migrated.
These steps will be accomplished in migration mode:
- Create substitution rules and mark the source rules as migrated.
- Migrate supported settings and report unsupported or obsolete settings.
- Enable schedule on substitution rules if it was enabled on the source rules.
- Disable schedule on the source rules.
- Replace links to the source rules in the runbooks, web actions, and other rules with the links to the replacement rules.
- Create a report with migrated rules, list runbooks web actions and rules where links were replaced, and list unsupported or obsolete settings.
Also, it is possible to do the following:
- Add prefix to the source rule names.
- Create configuration database backup before migration.
- Open execution report on completion.